Martha Stewart again provides us with one of our favorite summer recipes from her Great Food Fast cookbook. We love grilling and like to do everything, including the vegetables. We’ve often grilled baskets of vegetables (potatoes, onions, peppers, etc.), but this recipe turned out to be a big winner this summer. This an excellent dish with virtually any meat, probably a big heavy with fish. But we’ve served it with steak, hamburgers, pork and chicken.
Ingredients (serves four)
- 3 sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch pieces (don’t cut until ready to grill)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon butter
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Heat grill to medium
- Toss sweet potatoes in a large bowl with the olive oil, thyme, and cayenne pepper; season with salt and pepper (we like Indonesian white pepper from Penzey’s Spices)
- Grill potatoes, turning frequently until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 20-30 minutes. Do watch them carefully so they don’t burn and dry out. I also spray them with olive oil a few times to keep them moist.
- When ready, return potatoes to a bowl, add the butter, and break potatoes into large pieces with a spoon. Toss in the scallions and serve.