Here it is, one of our most prized signature recipes since 1989, bacon wrapped BBQ shrimp! This has been a favorite of guests in our home for many years. It’s an essential part of any outdoor deck party all summer long. This is a somewhat messy and very labor intensive recipe. But it’s well worth it in the end.
The original recipe appeared in Food & Wine in 1989. Someone walked off with my issue and for several years I was just winging it. I had only given out the recipe to one person, our good friend Cindy Gidley. She was kind enough to refresh my memory after a search of library after library failed to turn it up.
Bacon Wrapped BBQ Shrimp
Food & Wine Magazine
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander (grind from whole coriander)
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 18 large shrimp
- 9 thin slices of smoked bacon
- Mix all ingredients in mixing bowl large enough to accommodate the shrimp.
- Devein the shrimp.
- Using a spatula, mix the shrimp into the mixture and marinate for an hour or two.
- Slightly render the bacon, making sure to keep it soft and flexible to wrap around the shrimp. Generally, you can cut each slice of bacon in half. It’s also nice to leave a few unwrapped for any vegetarians.
- Wrap each shrimp with a piece of bacon and thread onto a skewer. Brush wrapped shrimp with marinade.
- Grill over high, direct heat with care as the bacon may still drip. Monitor the shrimp as they cook for about five minutes.
- Use a fork to slide the shrimp off the skewers and onto a brightly colored serving plate.